Friday, January 13, 2012

New Year, New Posts!

It's been over two months again since my last posting, and I've resolved this year to post at least once a month. I have the time, just not the motivation. Things around here are changing, this blog included, so let's get to it! I promise to post more often, more photos, and more fun! This blog was created specifically for an outlet for Laila, and for myself. To laugh at the fun times, cry with the confusion, and document our lives dealing with her diabetes all along the way. Without further ado, here's my first post of the new year!

January is usually a fairly slow month in our house, everyone's recovering from the holidays and getting back to the daily grind after being out of routine for a few weeks. Unfortunately, Laila's sugars must not have read the memo about getting back on track. Lately, her numbers have been all over the place. Breakfast is typically her best read of the day, and lunch is her worst. School days are long and worry-some, I don't even flinch anymore when I hear my phone ring at 1pm almost daily. Her numbers have been skyrocketing at lunch, even higher post lunch, and then crashing by the time she gets home from school. I can't imagine she feels comfortable, but her smile never leaves her beautiful face.

The time has come for Girl Scouts to start selling cookies! Last year was a bit difficult, Laila was still fairly newly diagnosed, and I think we were all a little nervous. Now that we are pumping way, I have a feeling my freezer is going to contain more Thin Mints than meat by the time the selling season is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love a good, frozen Thin Mint!

I feel as though sometimes Diabetes gets in the way of Laila truly being a kid. It's not the diabetes that's stopping her, it's me. I promised her to let her do more, to say "yes" more often, and to trust her instincts when it comes to how she feels, and her comfort level. She's an inspiration, a beautiful role model! So much so, in fact, that Kenadi, at 3, can check Laila's blood sugar for her, and even knows when to apply a normal bolus versus a dual or square wave bolus! I love how our entire family has become so ingrained in this way of life, it's more than second nature, it's first.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! Love reading posts here! Your family is very inspiring when it comes to handling/coping/managing diabetes. I'm very proud of all of you, especially Laila! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear the whole family (little sister included) are involved with Laila! You guys are truly amazing, sometimes I wish I could wave a magic wand so you could have 1 worry-free day. You guys are doing great though despite everything! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or inspiring note for Laila!