Monday, May 23, 2011

Dancing with Diabetes

Saturday was Laila's very first dance recital! She did a phenomenal job, if I do say so myself. I was nervous about leaving her alone with a backstage mom unfamiliar with diabetes, so I opted to skip the show and stay with her. I'm glad I did, her sugar dropped before their performance down to the 80's, and I was able to feed her a little snack and get her some juice before going on stage.

Laila really enjoyed the recital, and she's excited to share some of the details with you! It's been a long few months, the struggles of diabetes played an important role in our decision of whether or not to enroll her in dance in the first place, but with her determination and independence, she persevered through the highs and lows of the season and came out on top.

This is me and my best friend, Kaytlyn. We are in dance together.

This is me and Kaytlyn watching the bigger girls dance. I liked the pink ones that did tap.

This is a picture of some of the girls in my dance class.
You can't tell I have diabetes, I look just like girls next to me!

Here I am! I was really excited!
I had so much fun in dance this year. I was scared at first that I wouldn't be like the other kids in my class, but no one can see my diabetes. I got to dance on a big stage and everyone watched me and clapped when we were all done. My costume was purple, my favorite color. I love hearing my shoes on the floor when I walk. I am really really excited to take a new dance class when school starts again. I might take tap but I don't know yet what I want to do.

Thank you for reading this!

Love,
Laila

6 comments:

  1. OMG! I about cried when you wrote "You can't tell I have diabetes, I look just like girls next to me!" You are such an amazing girl Laila! Keep striving for excellence. I am so proud of you not letting diabetes get in the way of doing what you love.

    BTW: I LOVE that outfit on you, you are adorable!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is too cute!! good job Laila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laila--
    I don't even know you but can tell you must be an amazing little girl!
    Keep up the positive attitude and spreading the word that you, and countless other children, ARE just like everyone else. Everyone faces their own challenges in life, some big, some small. I'm just glad to see you are facing yours with a smile on your face! I'm sure your mommy & daddy are very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laila...you are too cute! Purple is definitely your color!
    My baby girl Kendall has Type 1 Diabetes...among a bunch of other things. But she loves to dance too!
    Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laila, I am so proud of you for your positive attitude and enthusiasm! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious, sweet girl! And she dances!!!!! I want to hug her and tell her she's the most wonderful star.

    My mom was just diagnosed with prediabetes, so we've been experimenting with foods and slowly entering this world you and Laila have been traveling through.

    Hugs to you both!
    Love,
    ~K~

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or inspiring note for Laila!