Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November

November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and as a mother of a Type 1 diabetic, I hope people take time to educate themselves and spread the word! Every day I pray for a cure, and thank God for the health of my children. 


Laila just recently passed her 1 year anniversary of her diagnosis, and looking back, it seems like it's been a lifetime. We have come so far, yet we have a lifetime ahead of us. Each and every day is a learning experience, trials and tribulations will come and go, but diabetes will always be there. Always.


We have decided to help raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) since we most likely won't be doing the diabetes walk this year. Laila and I figured a good starting goal would be $50, it's attainable, so she won't be disappointed if we don't meet it, yet it's sizable enough to feel like we truly tried and made an effort to donate. Instead of walking door-to-door, Laila has started dipping pretzels and selling them for $2.00 a dozen, donating half to JDRF and using the other half only to purchase more supplies. The response has already been overwhelming, and I've never been more proud of her! I have opened a paypal account for Laila for those who wish to donate that live out of state, and it has proved to be a great decision. The kind words and support of others are nothing short of amazing, and I can't thank them enough. I must admit, this one is my favorite:


Hi Joli & Laila,
I hope you are both having a fantastic week!


Last night, I saw the post from Joli about your goal of raising $50 for diabetes. I think this is an amazing thing you are doing, Laila. You are a very strong young lady. Diabetes runs in my family and I also had it during my pregnancy. It would mean the world to me if we could find a cure for it. We need more people like you! :)


Always know that you are a very strong gal and that you can do anything you want to do. Keep positive people in your life! And, always have a smile on your face because in the end, everything is going to be okay! You inspire me so I know that you have and will inspire others! :)


I know you wanted to raise $50. I have donated $33 via PayPal so you can reach your goal. GREAT JOB! Every little bit counts and know that you are making a difference! Go Get Em!


Your friend,
Heather :)


I'm pleased to report Laila has already met her initial goal, and has since decided to double her goal to $100!! We will be raising money for the entire month of November and Laila will personally take all of her donations down to the local American Diabetes Association office to give her offering to them. I look forward to being there with her.


Diabetes is not who Laila is, it doesn't define her or her dreams. It will not keep her from doing anything she wants to do, it will not create walls so high she cannot climb, or rivers so deep she cannot cross. With perseverance, anything is possible, and that little girl is full of it. And I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or inspiring note for Laila!